Parting the Waters
I started taking note after the third prophetic word given to us that said basically the same thing – “God will part the waters before you” or, “you will stretch out your rod over the water and just watch as the Lord parts the waves and allows you to pass over on dry land!” By the fifth time in two weeks I knew some impossible obstacle was coming, and God was preparing us to face it.
The best stories are when things get so bad, so impossible, so ugly, sinful and scary – and then, when all other hope is gone, God shows up and gets loud cheers for how faithful and powerful He is.
Like when Moses’ hapless band of discontents were caught between the impassable (“impossible”) Red Sea and the blood-thirsty army of Pharaoh. That was a good story! God got glory from that for ages.
So it should not be surprising that we are finding it “impossible” to own the truck that we bought. (Remember in the last blog where God gave us this perfect truck for an impossible price?) Look at this impressive list of impossibilities:
- First we find out that because we hold tourist visas we cannot legally buy a vehicle in SA (so ALL NATIONS will register it in their name, and we will have a company vehicle for the first time in our lives! – God is good),
- The previous owners have moved to Australia, but didn’t complete the correct paper work at their bank before leaving!
- Their bank won’t deal with anyone but them.
- And the vehicle registration agency is requiring things from that bank that we cannot obtain.
We have been soaking ourselves in books of prayer, and in prayer itself since arriving in Africa. God is taking us to new lessons of walking with Him, though we are just novices in much of this.
- God is waiting for a wo/man to stand tall, lift out the rod over the waters, and order the elements to conform! “SPEAK TO THE MOUNTAIN”; “EVERY PLACE YOUR FOOT TREADS I HAVE GIVEN TO YOU”; “REIGN IN LIFE”; “RISE UP AND WALK” – these are the words he is whispering in our ears.
- God is challenging us, “Do you believe that I can change hearts, move mountains and release blessings without your intervention?” So I find myself praying for my kids and kin, trusting God daily with specific issues where I used to just shrug or worry. For finances and direction expectation is replacing worry. My little toy hammer of intervention has been replaced with God’s earth mover of heart changing power – and he invites us on the seat with Him!
- 24-7 Prayer Manual and Red Moon Rising by Pete Grieg have been whetting our appetite for a “tent of meeting”, and the tangible spiritual feast of much time spent there.
- The same books have also stirred up our vision for being 3rd millennium monastics – devoted to the service of God and the poor, in radical community.
So as our planned three days in SA are nearing three weeks, this passage becomes our theme: Ps 27>
“THE LORD IS MY LIGHT AND MY SALVATION; WHOM SHALL I FEAR? THE LORD IS THE DEFENSE OF MY LIFE; WHOM SHALL I DREAD? … THOUGH A HOST EMCAMP AGAINST ME, MY HEART WILL NOT FEAR; THOUGH WAR ARISE AGAINST ME, IN (SPITE OF) THIS I SHALL BE CONFIDENT…. FOR IN THE DAY OF TROUBLE HE WILL CONCEAL ME IN HIS TABERNACLE; IN THE SECRET PLACE OF HIS TENT HE WILL HIDE ME; HE WILL LIFT ME P ON A ROCK. AND NOW MY HEAD WILL BE LIFTED UP ABOVE MY ENEMIES AROUND ME. AND I WILL OFFER IN HIS TENT SACRIFICES WITH SHOUTS OF JOY… I WOULD HAVE DESPAIRED UNLESS I HAD BELIEVED THAT I WOULD SEE THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING. WAIT FOR THE LORD; BE STRONG AND LET YOUR HEART TAKE COURAGE; YES, WAIT FOR THE LORD.”