A New Movie is Coming…
We are in process of making a short movie to give you a visual of what God is doing here in Zambia with us. Here is the script of that upcoming movie. If you would like to get a copy of it or invite us to come and share it with your church or small group while we are in N America in Sept and Oct, let us know.
The inspiration came one day when I was discouraged – which is not too rare. Where is the supply? Where is the fruit??
So this discouraging morning I was pouring out my heart to Jesus and asked him to show me His thoughts on the matter. I did the most spiritual thing I know – “open and point” – take the verse that is given when I just flop open my Bible.
It was Isaiah 19 and it was in the middle of a tirade against Egypt – I thought, “Oh brother, I guess this doesn’t work every time, does it?” But I kept reading, and God brought such encouragement! I was reading how God was causing such confusion and trouble in Egypt because of her wickedness – and I saw so many similarities with the villages. But then I thought, “Surely there will not be a blessing at the end of the passage – like where God says how he wants to reach out and save the poor Egyptians in their plight! No way – God had no such blessing for the Egyptians in that dispensation!” But I kept reading and sure enough! – must be the only place in the OT – but God gave it to me – he prophesied a blessing to those people. Read it for yourselves. And he showed me that we have a part in it – we are to be an altar in the midst – an incarnation of the sacrificial love of Jesus – living and serving in their midst.
• In the book of Isaiah there is an amazing prophecy of God’s intention to bring revival to the depraved land of Egypt ! Since Egypt is in Africa, I will adjust the word to encompass the continent – “In that day five cities in the land of Africa will swear allegiance to the LORD of hosts… In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the midst of the land of Africa… they will cry to the LORD because of their oppression, and He will send them a Savior and a Champion, and He will deliver them. Thus the LORD will make Himself known to Africa, and the Africans will come close to the LORD in that day. They will worship with joyful sacrifice. The LORD will strike Africa, and then heal them; He will respond to them and will restore them.”
• We believe God has sent us to be an altar in the midst – in the womb of Africa. We are called to incarnate the Living Jesus among those he loves and poured his blood for – to live among them, to know them and share their pains and sorrows, and in the end, to bring them to the Healer of their souls for that Life. God’s intention is a great paean of praise to rise from the Lozi and Tonga and Toka villages of southern Zambia. As the mighty Zambezi flows an unceasing wave across the continent, so, we believe God is sending a flood of His Love and His Word to heal a people who have so little hope in this world.
• Joshua Project, committed to reaching the unreached, has rated these people of Southern Zambia as being less than 2% Christian and in desperate need of workers to bring the Gospel. As we go from village to village we find the only ones who know God are those who have come from other parts of the country.
• Here there is a deep darkness – a veil of witchcraft mixed with mistaken religious litany that fights against the truth. As in all of Africa, people watch the Jesus Film and raise their hands for salvation, but lives are not changed. It is all a part of their animistic syncretism to accept anything offered into their bag full of religious trinkets, hoping for some miracle without really committing to it. Only when they they respond to the challenge of discipleship – repentance and obedience, do we begin to see the signs of light breaking into lives. But still the message is distorted. A worldview must be adjusted – from an existence controlled by spirits and curses and fear, to an understanding of our authority in Christ, our response-ability for radical obedience,– only then do we begin to see real conversion of lives.
• And we are finding this animistic worldview adjusted thru Stories – Bible Stories laden with Truth and Principles and Direction for living. These people are mostly illiterate. Their minds have not been trained in analytical thinking. So God sent his Word first thru Stories before concepts. As these village people learn God’s Story thru the Bible, they are learning to know the God of the Stories – who he is, what he is like, what he really wants for his children, and what he is offering to us. As the Prophet Isaiah said, “The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
• Many missionaries work thru the local pastors – hoping by that means to make the work indigenous. But we have discovered that Jesus did not contaminate the message with corrupt vessels just because they have the title of spiritual leader. Instead, He started afresh with the simple people of the land – training them in a simpler, more powerful way. As they learned to know and love him, they spread the message and trained others – first to follow, then to share and train others – a cascading movement. In the same way we are finding a few who are hungry to know and love Jesus. Thru doing life with them we are able to disciple and train them. They then start D groups while we assist. They disciple those who are hungry; they train them to share and disciple others. Disciples who make disciples – groups starting groups – that is our way.
• Again Isaiah says to us, “Is this not the fast which I choose, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free? Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him? “Then your light will break out like the dawn, And your recovery will speedily spring forth; And your righteousness will go before you; The glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Those from among you will rebuild the ancient ruins; You will raise up the age-old foundations; And you will be called the repairer of the breach, The restorer of the streets in which to dwell.
• We are believing for nothing less than Kingdom transformation! Not only are we praying for spiritual Life for a people, but the whole of God’s Righteousness to dwell in their villages and huts. We see the day when the old broken systems that have brought so much ruin will be replaced with Life-giving justice. We are starting with those at the bottom of the heap – the orphans – and turning the tables! We are giving them employment in a land of 80% unemployment! They will work in gardens, earning not only the means to go to school along with some blankets and clothes, but also some skills and dignity. Those on the bottom of the bottom will be lifted up to live in homes staffed with loving parents, feeding them the best of fare for their souls, their minds, their spirits and bodies, shaping them into Kingdom Pillars and tomorrow’s leaders.
• We have seen a vision of a day when there will be quality education for every child, quality health care, gardens and industry to feed the people, skills training, Bible training, Marriage and Family training. In a land where illiteracy is growing, where AIDS has reduced the life expectancy to 38 years, where the over 60% of Zambians live on less that $1 a day, where 38% of the children are orphans of one or both parents – this is a God-sized vision.
• Who are we? Well, we are the merging of Love’s Door – an orphan care ministry from the States, and ALL NATIONS – a missions sending school focusing on church planting movements, based in Cape Town, SA. Our long term staff go thru All Nations training, insuring a common vision. Four of us have joined hands and hearts in Zambia in 2009, leaving family and home and all our earthly treasures to give our lives to one another, to Jesus and to the Least and the Lost. We come from Zambia, South Africa, and America. Others are planning on joining us soon. Interns and teams have come to strengthen our hands. Local associates join with us in the villages.
• We are committed to knowing and loving Jesus with every ounce of our being – making prayer, and solitude a significant part of our daily rhythm. Our love for the Least and the Lost flows from the wounded side of our Savior, and so from our own hearts as well. Our community of mutual love is tied to our fellowship with Jesus. We guard it jealously. We challenge ourselves to live more deeply in love for one another. It is from this artesian source that we can give our lives so recklessly to serve the poor.
• We welcome you to partner with us as God leads you – financially, in prayer, in service – from your home or abroad.
I would ask you who are committed enough to read to the end of this long blog, to be in prayer for us. We depend on the gifts of those who believe in what God is doing here with us – well, we depend on God, who instructs His Body to care for us. We know He is faithful. We have seen many times when the bank account is empty and His people pray, and the account is again filled with enough to get thru. These challenges come often. I am asking for more prayer warriors; and I am asking for more people committed to us financially. God has led us to a broad place, and we are spreading out on every side – this requires a broad support base. I think, from the many words of encouragement we receive from so many of you, that many believe in us. Would you prayerfully consider committing to us for a monthly donation – either to the Bumsteads personally, or to the Love’s Door? Both accounts are in need of a broader base. Below is a Paypal button to donate online. Or you may send money to:
Love’s Door c/o Open Door Church
339 NW Sherman St
Sheridan, OR 97378
Just attach a note for how to spend it. All donations are tax deductible. Thanks.